Sunday, January 12, 2014

Junior High Mirror - Greenville (SC) Jr. High School Newspaper - May 1963




This is my copy of the the May 23, 1963 issue of the Junior High Mirror, which was the student newspaper at Greenville Junior High. Sadly this school, and even the building itself, no longer exists. It was located on Westfield Street in Greenville, South Carolina, atop Prospect Hill. I attended the 7th through the 9th grades at GJHS, and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed...actually loved...this school. It was here I became a "full blooded" Greenville High student. 


This is an image of how Greenville Junior High School looked in 1937. When I attended GJHS from 1961-64, it looked the same! The interior was quite dated and there were actual "potholes" in some of the hallway floors on the lower level. It was a great school though, and it felt like "tradition", which I liked a lot. 


Above is page 2 of the Junior High Mirror. As you have probably already discerned, this May 1963 Mirror is the final issue of the 1962-63 school year. As the final issue, there is the "Last Will & Testament" of the 9th grade class, bequeathing a "portion of their worldly goods to the rising eighth and ninth graders".


Page 3 contains the "Class Prophecy".


Page 4 contains the Ninth Grade Class History and an article listing students with perfect attendance for the 1962-63 school year.

After attending grades 7-9 at Greenville Junior High, I was excited to be promoted to the 10th grade. In 1964, I would get to go to the "school on the hill", Greenville  High!*

*After attending Greenville Senior High in 1964-65, my parents moved us out to the "boonies" of Greenville County and I was forced to attend Wade Hampton High School. I graduated from WHHS, but never felt that I belonged there. I'll always be a "Greenville High girl".



1 comment:

  1. I also attended Greenville jr high school as an 8th grader in 1963. Was in speech class there when John Kennedy was assasinated. I also was dating the love of my life there who later became addicted to drugs. So many memories

    ReplyDelete