Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Santa and the Easter Bunny use Western Union

Going through a box of Barbie doll clothes, I found two papers folded up in the bottom. I was surely surprised at what they were. Western Union Telegrams, addressed to me! It seems I just don't remember getting these at all, but there they were!

The Santa-Gram was the oldest, but not by much, dated December 1959, and sent to me at 111 Lowndes Hill Rd. in Greenville, SC, our address at that time. With an origination address of "North Pole", the telegram said: "From the land of snow and ice, with a pack of presents nice, my trusty deer are bringing me down, your house will be my first stop in town.= Santa Claus ="





The next telegram was the Easter Bunny-Gram, dated April 1960, and sent to me at 10 Dale Dr. in Greenville, SC. With an origination location of Bunnyland, this telegram said: "A little Happy Easter wish that's coming just to say: Sure hope a real fine girl has a real fine Easter Day.= Peter Rabbit =" 



Besides finding precious papers that my parents had taken the time to be sure I would receive (You do know they talked to Santa and Peter Rabbit to get this done, right?), I also got valuable information in the dates of the telegrams. Those dates, December 1959 and April 1960, tell me that it was at the first of the year in 1960 that we moved to Dale Dr. from Lowndes Hill Rd. I had often wondered just when we moved but had no way to pinpoint it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment